“Other than playing Center Field for the Red Sox, I genuinely cannot think of any work I’d rather do (or be any good at) than practice as a Commercial Real Estate Broker. I feel incredibly fortunate and do not take it for granted…”
Justin is recognized as one of the leading experts on industrial real estate in Maine. With over a decade of experience, he has successfully brokered transactions in all sectors, specializing in industrial, office, and investment properties. From strategic planning and representation for both buyers and sellers, to site searches and commercial property valuations, his exceptional market knowledge and expertise is an asset for clients looking for not only results, but a lasting relationship. Carrying his Rotarian principles forward in every deal, Justin is always looking out for his clients’ best interest and often talks people out of deals rather than into them. As such, he has fostered a reputation for being a genuine and trustworthy partner for clients.
As someone who approaches the market with a broad lens to understand all the different angles, positions, and perspectives, Justin is someone both clients and colleagues look to for his market insight. In 2013, Justin was named the Maine Commercial Association Realtor of the Year. In 2015 he earned the prestigious CCIM accreditation, an international membership comprised of the world’s top commercial real estate professionals. In 2017 he earned the Society of Industrial & Office Realtor’s (SIOR) designation, a global network of only 3,600 industry leaders. In doing so, he became the 5th broker in the state of Maine to carry both CCIM & SIOR honors. Annually, Justin is the author of The Dunham Group’s Greater Portland Industrial Market Survey, a comprehensive study and inventory of the local industrial market.
“I enjoy helping business owners shape the success of their company through real estate. A brick-and-mortar location impacts that success and if I can lend my expertise to help a business grow and create more jobs, it’s very satisfying.”
Justin is active in several Greater Portland philanthropic and professional organizations. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Maine Commercial Association of Realtors (Past President), Maine Cancer Foundation, Town & Country Federal Credit Union, and Portland Little League. Justin is also an active member of the Rotary Club of Portland, the Maine Real Estate Development Association, the Portland Chamber of Commerce, and the CCIM & SIOR New England chapters.
Justin joined The Dunham Group in 2011. In 2016 he earned Partnership in the firm and, in 2019, was named Designated Broker. He has worked in commercial real estate since 2006 and has a degree from the University of Rochester (BA ’02) and an advanced degree from Boston University (MS ’04). In his free time, Justin is an avid water skier, snow skier, hiker, rock climber and plays organized softball. He lives in Portland with his wife, Marycelina, their children Katherine and William and their dog, Fenway. His wife is a 5-year breast cancer survivor, an experience that has contributed to Justin’s empathy for others, commitment to having a true work/life balance, and his focus on giving back.
- 921 Riverside Street in Portland: Justin represented North Spore, a local mushroom manufacturer, in the lease-to-own of this Class-A 25,000 SF industrial building. North Spore exercised their right to purchase the building for $3,100,000 in late 2021.
- 340 County Road in Westbrook: Justin represented MaineHealth in their 2-year long search for their pharmaceutical manufacturing, distribution, and support office needs. MaineHealth bought this 34,500 SF mixed use building for $4,650,000 in 2020.
- 20 Morin Street in Biddeford: Justin has sold this 52,000 SF industrial building twice in the last decade and filled it with two different end-user tenants. In 2014, Growers Express (then Curran Foods) bought it for $1,890,000 and occupied it until they closed the plant in 2020. Growers then hired Justin to find a subtenant and he was able to put Maine Lobster Now in as a replacement tenant. Justin, TC Haffenreffer and Sylas Hatch then sold the building as a fully-leased investment property in 2021 for $4,975,000.
- 39 Darling Ave in South Portland: Justin represented PSL Services (Strive), a non-profit working with disabled young adults, in their purchase of this 12,075 SF office building for $1,400,000. Justin enjoys working with non-profits and appreciates the complexities of having staff and board volunteers making decisions for the greater good of the organization.
- 102 Hutchins in Portland: Justin partnered with Dunham Group brokers Tom Dunham and Greg Hastings to procure the leasing and sale on behalf of UNUM. It was sold to JB Brown & Sons for $4,000,000 in 2016. Thereafter, JBB hired Justin and Greg to lease the property and they successfully filled it within six months to MaineHealth. Internal partnerships between brokers are central to the team-approach culture the Dunham Group prides itself upon.